Friday, May 18, 2007

- European Cup night, May 1984

My view of the action from the 2005 Final:



Living in Istanbul, I was lucky enough to go to the 2005 Champion’s League Final. In a way I'm disappointed that this year's final will be between the same two teams, as it's bound to, in some way, affect my memories of what happened on that famous night.

Here's your chance to relive the night in 1984 when Liverpool won their fourth European Cup. Peel can barely keep it together, and I think it was a good job that he had rhythm pal Jensen in the studio with him.

Track Listing

-We begin with the final penalty in the shootout
-Kop Choir - You'll Never Walk Alone
-The Mighty Wah - Come Back
-The Undertones - Teenage Kicks
-The Pogues - The Dark Streets of London
-The Wailing Souls - John's Shop
-The Membranes - New Breed (I'm not sure if band and song match here, let me know if I'm wrong)
-The Great Unwashed - Duane Eddy
-Duane Eddy - Hard Times
-Captain Beefheart & his Magic Band - Pachuco Cadaver
-Theater of Hate - Legion
-Anti Nowhere League - Streets of London
-Ivor Cutler - Scenes from a Scotch Sitting Room Vol.2 #17


Download the file

There's some creative editing by whoever originally recorded this tape, especially towards the end, lots of pressing of the pause button. I've transcribed the tracks as best I can, but please let me know if there are any glaring inaccuracies.

No comments:

Who was John Peel?


The philosophy of this blog is a celebration of music in the spirit of the late John Peel. For those of you who want to learn more, click here.

Fades in Slowly RSS

Fades in Slowly