Tuesday, August 20, 2013

- YouTube Mining: The Soul Survivors - Mama Soul

The key to YouTube mining is to go with your instincts.

'YouTube mining' is a term I've devised to define my hobby of searching for new and previously unheard music on the video website. It's actually quite a simple notion: Listen to something that you haven't heard for ages and then choose something you've never heard before from all those videos that are displayed on the right hand side. This can be tricky, as all you're going on is the thumbnail picture chosen by the uploader. It is, however, incredibly rewarding when you find something truly majestic, as is the case with today's offering.

 


I'd never heard of 'The Soul Survivors' (they basically had one fairly big hit in the late 60s) and all I had to go on was the image of the magnificently afro-haired woman enticing me to click on a song called 'Mama Soul'...



As far as I can ascertain, this track was never even released as a single. I've found very little information about this song, although it apparently featured on their 1967 album of the same name.



No comments:

Who was John Peel?


The philosophy of this blog is a celebration of music in the spirit of the late John Peel. For those of you who want to learn more, click here.

Fades in Slowly RSS

Fades in Slowly